Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day!!

I have a great dad.


He has always been there for me. He attended every piano recital, band competition, and play that I was in. He cooked me breakfast and let my sister and me do his hair! (I wish I had pictures of that!)


He and my mom took me on great vacations every summer!


More importantly, he instilled faith and values in me that I hold to this day.


I never had to look for love in the wrong places because I knew that my dad loved me.

Don't get me wrong- we fought like cats and dogs (especially during high school!) But now that I am a parent, I understand why I had to be in at 10:00 (when the rest of my friends could stay out until whenever,) and why I couldn't date until I was 16 (even though the rest of my friends starting "going together" in fifth grade!) All of his rules safeguarded me against getting into lots of trouble!

And for all of those reasons (and more) I am so thankful for my dad!


In the same way, I am so grateful that my girls have a great dad.


From the beginning, he has been wonderful. He has changed as many diapers as I have, has given more baths than I have and has been spit-up on just as much as me!


Even though he claimed he couldn't hear the baby monitor, he would get up in the middle of the night when I gently nudged him (or kicked him as I screamed, "GET UP!!")


Nowadays, he can sing all of Madison's steel drum songs, knows all of Madison's lines from her plays, and greets Ella's endless drawings like they are expensive masterpieces!


He is better at slowing down and playing with the girls than I.


He doesn't sweat the small stuff. He knows what is important.

Just like my dad, he is instilling in the girls faith, love, courage and compassion.


The girls will never question his love for them because he tells them literally over and over each day. More importantly, he shows them that he loves them.

For that, I am eternally grateful!


So, to the two best dads I know- HAPPY FATHER'S DAY! I love both of you!

No comments: